· β-LACTAstrip is a rapid strip acidometric test of β-lactamase activity of microorganisms. Test is based on hydrolysis of β-lactamate ring of benzylpenicilline resulting in production of penicilline acid. This one acidifies the bacterial suspension and changes colour of acidobasic indicator.
· Result of reaction is read after 2-10 min.
· Shelf life: 9 months.
· Acidobasic test of β-lactamase activity is suitable only for Haemophilus influenzae, Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Staphylococcus spp. Test is not suitable for detection of β-lactamase activity in other microorganisms (Moraxella (Branhamella) catarrhalis, Enteroccocus faecalis, Neisseria meningitis, Enterococcus spp. and others).
Brief procedure for testing on a strip:
1. Moisten the active zone of diagnostic strip with 10 µl of the Moistening solution.
2. Wipe several suspected bacterial colonies from a Petri dish using the active zone of the diagnostic strip.
3. Mark the strip and incubate at laboratory temperature.
4. Read the result after 2–10 min.
Brief procedure for testing in a test tube:
1. Prepare 0.5–1 ml of an examined microorganism bacterial suspension in the Moistening solution (2–4 loops.).
2. Place the test strip into the test tube containing the prepared bacterial suspension. Shake the test tube and incubate at room temperature.
3. Read the result after 2–10 min.